Saturday, September 26, 2026

Make the Most Comfortable Choice

We have been playing side-graded Cypher for years. Numenera and The Strange were already the same engine with a setting’s physics turned on, different type names, and a few other changes. You can run The Strange with core Cypher rules and never feel like you changed games.

So if Evolved does not excite you, keep the books you have. The adventures still work. The monsters still work. The gameplay is the same game. You are just saying, “I feel more comfortable here.”

Evolved is the friendlier on-ramp. When I sit with new players, I can use that. At my own table, I am staying with the library I already know.

For my table, Evolved is like BX D&D, and the CSR is AD&D. Mostly compatible, but with different focuses and goals.

Practically, I have a shelf full of Numenera books and The Strange on the same shelf. If that is what I pull down that day, there is no reason to change editions. The choice between Evolved and the Revised CSR only appears when I am not using a setting book’s types and I am building from the system core.

I like the CSR types better than the new pattern of a generic character plus a genre job. I understand why the new version is easier for a first-time player. I still prefer the four original types sitting in that front-loaded spot.

That CSR warrior is a warrior in any setting, which is the easy chair for a combat-focused player. The speaker is the easy pick for someone who wants to talk. The adept is for the player who wants special powers. The explorer is for the player who wants to poke the world - ranger, rogue, or anyone who lives on the map.

Yes, there are structural changes. Wounds are the obvious one. If both tables handle injury clearly, wounds are a personal choice, not something you owe the new book. If the new wounding system matches how you think the game should feel, use it.

For those of us who loved the red book, we already learned the difference between spending two points to dodge a light weapon and standing there and taking the stab. That distinction has been in the pools the whole time, and at the table it gives the GM a clean hook for an Intrusion when the character actually got hurt. Dropping to zero in every pool also does not have to mean death if you never took a physical injury. In play, that can simply mean falling unconscious from exhaustion.

So I am not waiting for the library to be replaced. I am picking the mode that already fits how I see the four types, and how I already tell a spent pool from a wound. The adventurers do not care which cover I used to build the sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment